Lime Realty Group decided to share some fun facts about Thanksgiving you may or may not already know. Enjoy the list and share it with your friends and family!
01. The Native American tribe who helped the pilgrims cultivate the land in Plymouth were called the Wampanoag.
02. The first Thanksgiving meal consisted of Lobster, Rabbit, Chicken, Fish, Squashes, Beans, Chestnuts, Hickory Nuts, Onions, Leeks, Dried Fruits, Maple Syrup & Honey, Radishes, Cabbage, Carrots, Eggs and Goat Cheese.
03. Benjamin Franklin wanted the turkey to be the national bird of the United States.
04. Sarah Josepha Hale persuaded Abraham Lincoln to declare thanksgiving a national holiday. She is the author of the nursery rhyme, “Mary had a little lamb”.
05. The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade started in the 1920s.
06. Each year the National Turkey Federation presents the President a live turkey and two already prepared to eat. The president issues a “pardon” to the live turkey and it is sent to live out its days on a historical farm.
07. About 280 million turkeys are sold for Thanksgiving each year with California buying the most.
08. Thanksgiving is celebrated in Canada on the second Monday of October.
09. The heaviest turkey ever raised was 86 pounds and was the size of a large dog.
10. A large group of wild turkeys is called a flock.
11. A 16-week-old turkey is called a fryer. A five to seven month old turkey is called a young roaster.
Well, there you go, some fun all over the board totally random facts about Thanksgiving. Everyone at Lime hopes you have a wonderful holiday and we look forward to helping you have a better year with a new home! So contact us today!!!